Eligibility Information for PREP@unm
Applicants for PREP@unm must address the following in their applications in order to be eligible for the Program.
- Be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Be a member of a group found to be under-represented in biomedical research. These include: ethnic groups such as, but not limited to, Hispanic, Native American/American Indian, African-American, native of the US Pacific Islands; individuals with disabilities; and individuals from otherwise disadvantaged backgrounds arising from social, cultural, economic or educationally-challenged backgrounds.
- Be a recipient of a Bachelor’s degree within the 36 months prior to the time of acceptance into the Program.
- Be demonstrably committed to pursuing a Ph.D. in a biomedical research field, and carrying out research that will help to reduce health disparities.
- Have a tangible need to complete an additional year of training before applying to graduate school. This might arise from the applicant having little or no research laboratory experience; or from an applicant wishing to pursue a degree in a field distinct from that in which they received their Bachelor’s training.
- Be willing to participate in a group training program that is designed to enhance their research education and career development.
- Have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 (out of 4.0).